Monday, June 9, 2008

Update...


Today is the 1 year anniversary for Andrew and I. It really stinks that he's not here to celebrate this milestone. I just keep reminding myself that after these next 6 months, we'll never be separated again. I just hope that these 6 months fly by because right now they feel like an eternity away! At least Andrew and I got to talk today and we exchanged nice heart felt emails so that was nice!

As for Avery, things are going well with her. We're still working on getting breast feeding down to a science and establishing a routine for her. People weren't kidding when they said being a mom is a full time job. The doctor said I'm supposed to be feeding her every 2-3 hours so I feel like I'm ALWAYS feeding her. And forget about sleep... that's non existent! My mom is in town to help but with me breast feeding, there's only so much she can do to help. It is nice though to be able to run a quick errand or take a shower without having to worry. She is also helping me with non baby related stuff and that's been a huge help. Most importantly, she's been here for moral support which I definitely need every now and then. I've very thankful for all for all of this support.

Man, they say breast feeding is difficult but wow! It's been harder than I can imagine! The first few weeks were SUPER painful but I've luckily gotten over that hump. Now it's just a matter of keeping the milk supply plentiful and sufficient. There are so many different opinions on how to best do it so it's confusing and frustrating at times. I also worry that Avery isn't getting enough to eat since you can't really measure out what she's eating. It doesn't help that it's very difficult to keep Avery awake during feedings! To further add to my worry, Avery was 4oz under her target weight at her 2 week doctor's appointment. The doctor made it seem like this was a huge deal. We have to go back to the doctor's tomorrow for a 3 week re-check. I hope she's gained the targeted weight at this point. If not, I'm going to have to further discuss what needs to be done in order to make breast feeding successful. I swear, if I weren't sold on the great benefits that breast feeding provides to both Avery and myself, I would've quit a long long time ago!

With all the stresses, I do have to say that I'm just so in love with our daughter. Whenever I'm stressing, exhausted or worrying about being a good mom, I just look at her and melt. It's amazing how much she seems to grow and develop everyday! She has become a little wiggle worm these days and has displayed some amazing neck strength. She has also gotten much better at tummy time and doesn't get nearly as frustrated as she used to. She loves our daily walks around the neighborhood or at the dog park in her stroller. Most of the time she falls right asleep but the other day, she sat up and was just quietly taking in all the scenery. It was adorable!

2 comments:

  1. If you really want to know how much she's getting, weigh her output. Weigh her dirty diapers on a kitchen scale. No kidding. :)
    Keep drinking lots of water and resting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep it up - I promise it will get lots easier! Drink lots of water and rest as much as you can. The pain should decrease soon. Before you know it - it will be second nature for you and Avery. Have you read any of the books by The Baby Whisperer? I found them very helpful.

    ReplyDelete